• Try your hardest to create your exemplar using the same equipment that made the original recording. Phone = Phone. CI Digital = Digital Olympus.
• When creating your exemplar, have a third party non-biased impartial witness to confirm your identity. That way, your voice sample will not be challenged.
• Make a transcript of your original recording to use when creating your exemplar. That way, you will have a written version of the recording to refer to.
• When creating your voice sample or exemplar, you do not have to record the entire conversation. Rather, record the portions that contain unique dialogue or dialect.
• Ask your suspect to be natural and cooperate when creating your exemplar. They shouldn’t try to disguise their voice. Audio forensic experts can work around an attempted disguise.
For more on Voice Identification, check out Ed Primeau’s latest book, “That’s Not My Voice!” available on Amazon.